December is a busy month nestled between Thanksgiving and the new year— and with big holidays of its own— and it is also the birth month for people celebrating their birthday in the 12th month of the year. Those celebrating a birthday in December can expect a cooler birthday as the month has the shortest daylight hours and marks the beginning of winter.
A one-of-a-kind gemstone, Tanzanite is known for its exotic deep blue color with a rich overtone of purple. This popular blue gemstones comes in a variety of shapes, sizes and striking assortments of blue tones. Tanzanite was first discovered in 1967 in Tanzania, East Africa, and was added to the official birthstone list by the American Gem Trade Association in 2002. Tanzanite is also the suggested gemstone for the 24th wedding anniversary.
Zircon is best known as a bright blue gemstone, but it is also available in beautiful earth tones of green, dark red, yellow, brown, and orange. Popular in the Middle Ages, Zircon was said to aid in resting, bring prosperity and promote honor and wisdom in its owner. Other special properties include fighting evil and avoiding jealousy, protecting from insomnia and promoting happiness and self-satisfaction.
Turquoise is one of the oldest known gemstones has enjoyed worldwide popularity for centuries. A favorite of Egyptian Pharaohs and early Native Americans, this beautiful blue gemstone is believed to offer healing powers, promoting the wearer’s status and wealth, protecting from evil and bringing good luck.
A few facts about December birthstones:
- Fewer children are born in December than other months. December is part of a four month cycle between November and February where the birth rate worldwide drops, reflecting many couples’ choice to avoid the holiday season when planning their pregnancies.
- December’s Zodiac signs are Sagittarius (November 22 – December 21) and Capricorn (December 22 – January 19).
- December is also Universal Human Rights Month and National Read a New Book Month.
- December was the 10th month of the year until January and February were added to the front of the Roman calendar.
- Many celebrities celebrate a December birthday: Lucy Liu (12/2), Walt Disney (12/5), Larry Bird (12/7,) Frank Sinatra (12/12), Bob Barker (12/12), Taylor Swift (12/13), Jamie Foxx (12/13), Vanessa Hudgens (12/25), Ludwig van Beethoven (12/16), Samuel L. Jackson (12/21), Sir Isaac Newton (12/25) and Stan Lee (12/28).
- The birth flowers of December are narcissus and holly.